Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tuesday, 14 December 2010

Last year on this date, we buried Mom.  It was a bleak and frigid day w/ wind chills that sent the temperature well below zero.  The graveside tent had blown off leaving the bare poles to frame the rows of chairs facing her grave stone.  I remember nothing of what the minister said.  I only recall feeling that my heart was freezing, and I would never again know the unconditional love of a mother for her child.

Last year on this date, I looked upon her face for the last time.  I fussed over her hair each time Dad would touch the top of her head.  I fussed just as she did each day before school as I'd sit on a kitchen chair while she brushed, combed, braided, and bobby-pinned my hair.

Last year on this date, people drove through a snowstorm to say "Good-bye" to a mother, grandmother, sister-in-law, aunt, cousin, friend, teacher, and woman who knew her mind and spoke it.  Visiting w/ my former teacher last weekend, her son, who currently sits on the city council, served one year w/ Mom.  I was proud to hear how, despite being the oldest member and the only woman, she wasn't intimidated by these younger men.  She was determined to hold the city workers accountable for their jobs, which is something the council is now realizing is a necessity. 

Last year on this date, most of her family gathered in her Sunday School room before going into the sanctuary for her service. I sat in the front row staring at the Christmas trees she had traced and cut out for her nursery students.  She was all around us that day, one year ago, and anytime I fear that feeling may be fading, I will return to this blog to relive the joy and the pain, the love and the pride.  I will not forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment