Sunday, December 19, 2010

Saturday, 18 December 2010

Wow!  I've forgotten what it's like to have an active five-year-old and eight-year-old.  This morning we went to Lucia's gymnastics class, did some final Christmas shopping, then had a wonderful lunch at The Cafeteria in Calhoun Square.  This gave us just enough time to run back to their house to put on Under Armour, ski pants, boots, neck gators, etc., etc. before  heading out to Hyland Ski and Snowboard Area for Lucia and Isabel's ski lesson.  Maddy, who hadn't been on skis since she was four, skied w/ Lori and her friend Tim while I watched the little girls during their lessons.  Maddy had an absolute blast and can't wait to ski again.  We may be making several trips to Mankato and Minneapolis this winter! 

After a few hours at Hyland, we headed back to Lori and Heather's to get ready for a small dinner party w/ their friends Tim and Karen and their two kids.  It was a delightful evening.  I've forgotten how much I enjoy talking w/ people.  It was amazing to sit around the dining room table w/ great food, delicious wine, and stimulating conversation about religion, education, and politics.  I was so happy that Kenzie and Maddy could be part of these conversations to both expand and express their minds, and I was pleased that they could see me be happy.

Heather mentioned how her yoga instructor has given her the mantra, "This is how it is now."  It's a good mantra for me to repeat right now to help me accept that my life is changing, but I would add the phrase, "but I have the power to change it."  Some situations can't be changed such as the death of my mother so to be motherless is how my life is now.  But I have the power to change other situations such as an unhappy marriage.  The simple concept of knowing what I can change, and what I can't has been a long, difficult lesson this year.  Now to solidify any lesson and mantra, I must repeat it and repeat it until I can live it w/o even thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment