Sunday, December 5, 2010

Sunday, 05 December 2010

If Mom was alive, she and Dad would've been here today for the girls' Christmas concert.  As it was, Dad stayed home, and I sat w/ friends to watch Kenzie and Maddy sing and Maddy play her flute.  Mom would be amazed at how much they've grown.  I didn't even recognize Maddy at first, and she was standing right next to her sister.  When did she get so tall and grown-up?  If Mom were here, Maddy would be measuring her height by standing next to Grandma.  Grandma was the measuring stick by which both girls saw how much they were growing.  Maddy hadn't quite caught up last year to Mom's height of 5'3", but she would've passed her this year.  Mom continues to be a measuring stick for how I live my life, both what she did well and how she could've improved.  No life is perfect, but each life is a building block for the next.  It's when we forget that we stand on the foundation of those who came before us that those blocks come tumbling down.

If anything good can come out of losing a loved one, I'd have to say it's that I've remembered how to be sociable.  Since I didn't have family to sit w/ at the concert today, I sat w/ a friend.  Losing Mom has taught me that family members don't have to be connected by blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment